Tallahassee OB/GYN Error Attorney
An OB/GYN’s error can be emotionally and physically traumatic and can result in devastating and long-term ill effects for both you and your child. OB/GYN errors can affect women who are seeking female-centric medical care such as birth control or cervical cancer screening, are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or those who are in the labor and delivery stage.
An OB/GYN’s negligence of can result in serious illness, injury or even death. If you have been the victim of an OB/GYN’s negligent mistake that resulted in harm to either you or your child, you may be eligible to recover compensation for your damages.
Common Types of OB/GYN Errors
There are many types of OB/GYN errors, some of which are more common than others. OB/GYN negligence errors may include:
- errors in contraception such as prescribing a dangerous contraception given the patient’s health, not discussing side effects, and/or incorrect implantation of a contraception device;
- diagnosis errors such as an incorrect diagnosis or failure to make a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy, contagious disease, or dangerous medical condition in the patient;
- surgical errors during a cesarean section, hysterectomy or other female-centric procedure; and
- labor errors that result in fetal distress or trauma to the baby from the use of forceps or a vacuum extractor, or harm to the mother.
OB/GYN errors can result in:
- excessive blood loss;
- a baby requiring NICU;
- necessity for blood transfusion;
- spread of disease or the chance of infection;
- trauma to the baby;and
If You or Your Baby Has Been Injured by an OB/GYN
If you believe that you or your baby has been injured because of an OB/GYN’s actions, you may be entitled to file a medical malpractice claim in order to recover compensation. A lawyer can help you understand the claims filing process and guide you through your rights as a person who has sustained injuries. Additionally, an attorney can help you gather all of the necessary information that you’ll need for the claims-filing process.
Your claim must present evidence that the OB/GYN was negligent. This means that other reasonable professionals would not have acted in a similar manner under similar circumstances. This might require expert testimony from a medical expert, as well as a review of the patient’s medical records. You also must present evidence of damages. If you suffered no damages due to the doctor’s mistake, you will be unable to recover compensation.
Children who suffer certain neurological injuries affecting the brain or spinal cord may recover damages through a no-fault claim with the Florida Birth Related Neurological Injury Compensation Fund (NICA). Those who make such a claim may not pursue a medical malpractice claim.
Consult a Personal Injury Attorney after an OB/GYN’s Error
If you or your child has been the victim of an OB/GYN error and suffered serious injuries, contact an attorney knowledgeable about these errors and medical malpractice claims. Call the attorneys at Barrett, Fasig & Brooks to begin filing your claim immediately. Call us today at 850-224-3310 and schedule a free consultation to review your case and eligibility to pursue a medical malpractice claim against an OB/GYN.